Manage episode 307562245 series 97303
Recently in a speech given at the University of Virginia, Mormon apostle Elder Dallin H. Oaks denied that Electroshock Therapy as a form of gay conversion therapy was used/studied during his tenure as president of Brigham Young University in the 1970s.
Join us on 11/18/2021 at 3pm (mountain) where we will discuss the history of Electroshock Therapy at BYU - and determine whether or not Dallin H. Oaks was being truthful when he denied that gay Electroshock therapy was used/studied at BYU during his time as BYU President. We will be joined by historian Connell O'Donovan and Kyle Ashworth.
- Part 1 of Mormon Stories discussion about Oaks' visit to UVA
- "Going Forward with Religious Freedom and Nondiscrimination," address by Elder Dallin H. Oaks at the University of Virginia on November 12, 2021
- Q&A session (and partial transcript) with Dallin Oaks before the UVA address Latter Gay Stories podcast, hosted by Kyle Ashworth
- Mormon historian Connell O'Donovan
- "On The Record: A Chronology of LGBTQ+ Messaging," by Latter Gay Stories Affirmation LGBTQ Mormons, Family, and Friends
- Dallin H. Oaks’ bio
- "A Message to Young Men," Boyd K. Packer's "little factory" talk from 1976 General Conference, in which he compared sperm production to a factory as a way to discourage boys from masturbating
- A side-by-side comparison of the original vs. the Church-edited version of Hartman Rector's 1981 General Conference talk "Turning the Hearts"
- "Effect of Visual Stimuli in Electric Aversion Therapy," by Max Ford McBride, Psychology dissertation, Brigham Young University, 1976
- FAIR's response to electroshock and vomit aversion at BYU
- Legacies, BYU Electroshock Documentary, Gentile Pictures, 1996Goodbye, I Love You by Carol Lynn Pearson
- The Miracle of Forgiveness by Spencer W. Kimball
- "The Abominable and Detestable Crime Against Nature: A Revised History of Homosexuality & Mormonism, 1840-1980," by Connell O'Donovan
- Dr. Allen Bergin apologizes for his role in carrying out electroshock aversion at BYU in the 1970s
- "Dallin Oaks says shock therapy of gays didn't happen at BYU while he was president. Records show otherwise," by Peggy Fletcher Stack, Salt Lake Tribune, November 16, 2021
We are 100% donor funded! Please click HERE to donate and keep this content coming!